Gastritis, a common stomach ailment characterized by inflammation of the stomach lining, is a global health concern affecting millions of people worldwide. This condition manifests through various symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, and loss of appetite. While the exact cause remains unknown, one of the known triggers is the Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection, which induces gastritis through the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and lipid peroxidation.
In recent years, there has been a growing interest in the potential health benefits of alkaline water, particularly its effects on gastritis. This article explores the science behind alkaline water and how it can help manage gastritis symptoms.
Understanding Gastritis: Causes, Impact, and Traditional Treatments
Gastritis is a prevalent health condition that affects a significant portion of the global population. It is characterized by the inflammation of the stomach lining, leading to symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, and loss of appetite. This condition can significantly impact an individual’s health behaviors, standard of living, and overall quality of life.
The exact cause of gastritis is often unknown, but one known trigger is the Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection. This bacterium induces gastritis through the production of reactive oxygen species and lipid peroxidation, leading to an imbalance in the stomach’s environment and causing inflammation of the gastric mucosa.
Gastritis is a global public health issue, affecting individuals of all ages across all regions. While it’s difficult to determine the exact percentage of the global population affected by gastritis due to varying diagnostic criteria and methods, it’s estimated that about half of the world’s population may be infected with H. pylori, a leading cause of gastritis.
Traditional treatments for gastritis often involve a combination of lifestyle changes and medications. Lifestyle changes may include avoiding certain foods and beverages that can aggravate the stomach lining, reducing stress, and quitting smoking. Medications typically prescribed for gastritis include antacids, proton pump inhibitors, and antibiotics to combat H. pylori infection. However, these treatments may not always be effective for everyone and can sometimes lead to side effects.
This is where the potential benefits of alkaline water come into play. With its higher pH level, alkaline water can help neutralize the acid in your stomach, potentially offering a natural and refreshing solution to manage gastritis symptoms. As we explore further in this article, the science behind alkaline water and its impact on gastritis is promising, offering a new perspective on managing this common condition.
Alkaline Water: A Brief Overview
Alkaline water, also known as Alkaline Reduced Water (ARW), has a higher pH level (8.5-10) than regular drinking water. This higher pH level means that alkaline water can help neutralize the acid in your body, potentially offering health benefits.
The higher the pH level, the more effective alkaline water can be and that is why Designer Water has a pH of 10 to give our customers the maximum possible benefit.
Alkaline Water and Gastritis: The Connection
Recent studies have shed light on the potential benefits of alkaline water for gastritis. One study reported that the oral administration of ARW for five months consecutively showed an improvement in gastritis symptoms. This improvement was evaluated through an esophagogastroduodenoscopy, a procedure that visualizes the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract.
Moreover, the study observed an elevated expression of tumor suppressor genes miR-135b and miR-29-c after five months of ARW consumption. These results suggest that ARW may have a protective effect against the inflammation of the gastric mucosa.
Another study showed that ARW with a pH of 8.8 can inactivate pepsin, an enzyme that plays a key role in causing damage to the cellular structure in the gastrointestinal tract. This finding suggests that ARW could be beneficial as a treatment for acid reflux, a condition often associated with gastritis.
How to Incorporate Alkaline Water into Your Routine
Given these potential benefits, it is recommended to consume alkaline water on an empty stomach if you’re struggling with Gastritis. This practice may increase stomach pH and reduce gastritis symptoms and give you the best possible benefit. However, it’s important to note that the effects of alkaline water against gastritis cannot be sufficiently concluded from these studies alone. Therefore, further in vivo and clinical studies are necessary to investigate the effects of alkaline water on gastritis.
In conclusion, while more research is needed, the potential benefits of alkaline water for gastritis are promising. If you’re suffering from gastritis, consider dincorporating alkaline water into your daily routine. Remember, a holistic approach to health often yields the best results.
Koufman, J.A.; Johnston, N. Potential benefits of ph 8.8 alkaline drinking water as an adjunct in the treatment of reflux disease. Ann. Otol. Rhinol. Laryngol. 2012, 121, 431–434. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
Chaves, J.R.; de Souza, C.R.T.; Modesto, A.A.C.; Moreira, F.C.; Teixeira, E.B.; Sarraf, J.S.; Allen, T.S.R.; Araujo, T.M.T.; Khayat, A.S. Effects of alkaline water intake on gastritis and mirna expression (mir-7, mir-155, mir-135b and mir-29c). Am. J. Transl. Res. 2020, 12, 4043–4050. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
Marcial, G.; Rodríguez, C.; Medici, M.; de Valdez, G.F. New approaches in gastritis treatment. In Gastritis and Gastric Cancer-New Insights in Gastroprotection, Diagnosis and Treatments; Tonino, P., Ed.; Intech: Rijeka, Croatia, 2011; pp. 153–176. [Google Scholar]
- Padmavathi, V.; Nagaraju, B.; Shampalatha, P.; Nirmala, M.; Fareeda, B.; Susan, T. Knowledge and factors influencing on gastritis among distant mode learners of various universities at selected study centers around bangalore city with a view of providing a pamphlet. Sch. J. Appl. Med. Sci. 2013, 1, 101–110. [Google Scholar]
- Jannathul, F.; Noorzaid, M.; Norain, A.; Dini, S.; Nurul, H.; Nurulnasuha, N. A descriptive study on lifestyle factors influencing gastritis among university students of unikl rcmp in malaysia. Indian J. Nat. Sci. 2016, 6, 10753–10756. [Google Scholar]
- Khanzode, S.S.; Khanzode, S.D.; Dakhale, G.N. Serum and plasma concentration of oxidant and antioxidants in patients of helicobacter pylori gastritis and its correlation with gastric cancer. Cancer Lett. 2003, 195, 27–31. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Jia, Y.T.; Wei, W.; Ma, B.; Xu, Y.; Liu, W.J.; Wang, Y.; Lv, K.Y.; Tang, H.T.; Wei, D.; Xia, Z.F. Activation of p38 mapk by reactive oxygen species is essential in a rat model of stress-induced gastric mucosal injury. J. Immunol. 2007, 179, 7808–7819. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Kishino, M.; Nakamura, S.; Shiratori, K. Clinical and endoscopic features of undifferentiated gastric cancer in patients with severe atrophic gastritis. Intern. Med. 2016, 55, 857–862. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed][Green Version]
- Choi, D. W., Kim, K. S., Yang, H. J., & Kim, K. H. (2022). Alkaline Reduced Water Supplementation: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial for the Effects on Human Health. Processes, 10(1), 87. https://doi.org/10.3390/pr10010087
- Chaves, L. S. M., de Araújo, A. R., Pimenta, F. S., Santos, S. A. R. K., de Oliveira, T. C., de Araújo, W. M. C., … & de Araújo, A. A. (2021). Modified pH range water consumption for the treatment of gastritis and its symptoms: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Journal of Clinical Trials, 11(2), 1-7. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7407731/
Unleash the Power of Alkaline Water: Your Key to Gastritis Relief Starts Here!
- Alkaline Bottled Water
5ltr Designer Water Alkaline Water pH10 (Case 4 Pack)R200.00 Add to cart
- Alkaline Bottled Water
1ltr Designer Water Alkaline Water pH10 (Case 12 Pack)R192.00 Add to cart
- Alkaline Bottled Water
750ml Designer Water Alkaline Water pH10 (Case Of 12)R192.00 Add to cart
- Alkaline Bottled Water
500ml Designer Water Alkaline Water pH10 (Case 24 Pack)R264.00 Add to cart