Why Drinking Water is Important

Why Drinking Water is Important

Aside from the fact that drinking a certain amount of water keeps people hydrated, there are tons of other health benefits one can achieve by drinking the right amounts daily. Because the human body is made up of 60% water and about 71% of the planet’s surface is made up of water as well, it makes complete sense that water plays a huge role in providing health and sustenance on any living thing.

A couple of quick facts about drinking water

  • The average solid body of an adult human is 60 percent water, our blood on the other hand, is a whopping 90 percent water.
  • 8 glasses of water is a common advise people usually give with regards to daily consumption but the fact is, there is no universally correct amount because every human body is different and thus everyone has different daily requirements.
  • When a person is dehydrated, their skin is more prone to early wrinkling and other skin disorders.
  • Reach for a glass of water instead of a can of soda the next time you get thirsty, it can help you lose weight.
  • According to a CDC questionnaire, about 7 percent of the respondents reported that they don’t drink water on a daily basis and no water at all most days.

The Benefits

Our cells and organs need water to function properly everyday, but aside from that, here are other benefits from drinking water:

  • Water lubricates the joints the same way oil lubricates the gears in a machine.
  • It helps form saliva, which can aid in digestion.
  • It helps with circulating oxygen throughout the body.
  • They act as cushions for the brain, spinal cord, and other various sensitive tissues.
  • It regulates the body’s temperature.
  • It helps produce neurotransmitters and hormones.
  • It helps food pass through the intestines smoothly to prevent indigestion.
  • It helps flush out the body’s waste.

Aside from drinking water or other beverages, some foods with high water content can also help provide the body with fluids such as fruits like oranges, tomatoes and watermelons and soup dishes.

When humans go through their daily life, water is being used up in the process. Through activities like urination, sweating and even just the motion of breathing, fluids are being expelled from the body. These fluids must then be replenished regularly in order for the body to perform in optimal condition. Though there are other products that are made specially for rehydration, drinking plain water straight from the tap or bottle is always the better option.

Just because a product is liquid, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it could help with rehydration. Natural juices and milk are good sources of fluids and vitamins but steer clear from drinks that contain alcohol like beer and liquor, and caffeine like sodas and coffee because they could cause dehydration and more often than not, contain empty calories.

The Recommended Intake

The amount of water that a person needs to drink on a daily basis varies by certain factors like their age, weight, special health needs and how active their lifestyle is.

According to a study conducted by the U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, the recommended daily amount is as follows:

  • For women, 11 cups or around 2.7 liters (91 oz.)
  • For men, 15.5 cups or around 3.7 liters (125 oz.)

However, it is also recommended that only 80 percent of the daily requirement must come from fluid intake while the remaining 20 percent, from food intake.

Scroll to Top